Sunday, July 11, 2010

Hello, Egypt!

So after two long flights and a layover, I am finally in Cairo, Egypt!  We arrived in the early evening in Cairo, with a 7 hour time difference from New York City, so who knows how long I haven't slept well!  Anyway, we arrived at the Cairo International Airport.  The airport was newly constructed and was absolutely gorgeous, way better than the airport in Frankfurt!  We, Fulbrighters, are living it up - we had people pick up our luggage and have an awesome coach bus, just have to check to see if it has WIFI, and were greeted with a bouquet of flowers, for the girls anyway.  Dan, one of my fellow Fulbrighters was quite disappointed he didn't get a bouquet!  Too bad!

Today was the first full day in Egypt, and we went to see the Sphinx and the Great Pyramids of Giza!  So amazing!  This is what really told me I was in Egypt!  The Great Pyramids of Giza are depicted as a group of 3, but there were really 9!  The one below is the largest surviving pyramid, and serves as the finally resting place for the pharoah, Khufu or as many know him to be, Cheops.  While this pyramid isn't perfectly square, it is close enough - roughly 556 square meters, total estimate of 2.3 million stones, with each stone weighing an average of 2 tons and some are even 55 tons!


The Pyramids of Giza are one of the Seven Wonders of the World!  They are so big, just to give you an idea of how large the stones are take a look at the picture below!


The stones used to build this were almost as tall as human beings! How could the Egyptians pull this off with no machinery? Well, they used there strength and their noggin!  I won't get into a whole history lesson on the pyramids, but my lessons do need to be revamped after this trip because what we have been teaching is wrong!


This is the solar power boat that was found in a boat pit next to the pyramid. They call it the solar power boat because it was supposed to allow the pharaoh to sail with Re, the sun god, in the afterlife.


Here is the second pyramid with a limestone cap and the third smaller pyramid in the background.


Here is the image of the Giza Plateau that is used in Transformers and other movies.


Look, I'm taller than the pyramid! I can touch the tippy top!


Here is the Great Sphinx!  The Sphinx is composed of a female body and the head of a falcon!


It's my first time in Egypt, so I had to kiss the Sphinx!

Anywhoo, it's time for me to go!  I have class and limited internet time.  I miss everyone!  Next time, I'll be posting a video! Hugs!

3 comments:

  1. Hey Korina,
    Sounds wonderful!
    Keep those photos coming so we can use them in the Global classes.
    Have a great time!
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top of the world, ma!!!!! I didn't realize you were that tall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your stories and pictures. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete